I am not sure if I could stick to a healthy diet if chocolate had to be banned!
Thankfully, you and I do not have to experience such a tragedy, because there are hundreds of ways to enjoy chocolate without sacrificing the health factor. Raw Cacao powder is loaded with iron, magnesium, and antioxidants. When you tweak old sugar laden recipes by adding a few other wholesome ingredients, you get a dessert that you can feel great about eating!
Here are some chocolatey Christmas favorites:
1. Antioxidant Hot Chocolate (Dairy-Free)
1-2 cups Almond milk
2-3T Cacao Powder
1 T maple syrup, honey, or stevia
Directions: Heat almond milk on stovetop. Just before boiling, remove from heat and gently stir in the rest of the ingredients. Pour into your favorite Christmas mug and enjoy!
2. Skin Glowing Chocolate Bark
2/3 Cup Cacao powder
1/3 Cup Coconut oil
1/3 Cup Maple Syrup
pinch of sea salt
optional add ins: pistachios, pomegranate, cranberries, etc.
1. Heat Coconut oil on stove top until melted and remove from heat.
2. Stir in Cacao, maple syrup, and sea salt. Pour mixture into a parchment paper lined backing dish.
3.Sprinkle any toppings on top.
4. Place in freezer for 20 minutes or more to harden.
5. Gently break into smaller pieces and enjoy! Store leftovers in freezer.
3. Chocolate Brownie Energy Bites
1 cup dates
1 cup walnuts
¼ Cup Cacao
pinch sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor. (Add a little water if it is too dry to blend.) Scoop mixture out onto a plate.
- Roll into 1 T balls and harden in the fridge. for 30 + minutes. Store leftovers in air tight container in refrigerator.
4. Tummy Soothing Peppermint Patties
1 C Shredded coconut
2 t Melted coconut oil
3 tpure maple syrup
1 tsp. peppermint extract OR 1-2 drops peppermint essential oil (food grade)
For chocolate coating:
¾ cup melted coconut oil
5 T cacao powder
3 T maple syrup
- Blend all filling ingredients. Add water or dairy free milk as needed.
- Form into small patties on parchment paper lined plate. Freeze for 20 min.
- Melt coating ingredients on stove top and remove from heat.
- Dip patties into melted chocolate with a fork. Freeze again for 10 in.
- Enjoy! Store in airtight container in fridge for 5 days.
I hope this helps restore your faith in a healthy diet and reassures your chocolate-loving self that you do not have to give up the decadent treats you crave this Christmas!
For more healthy living support, click on the button below to schedule a FREE 30 min. healthy consultation. Let's get you headed in the right direction of reaching your health goals for the New Year!